Thursday, July 8, 2010

Cube Fever...

I am a little distracted today. Seattle is in full fledged "disaster relief" mode. Which, for those not familiar with the Pacific Northwest mindset, means that it has finally reached temperatures worthy of summer status and the pastey Seattle-ites are already praying for a swift return of gray clouds and rain. Being a newcomer to the Emerald City I am finding this change of climate incredibly encouraging and exciting. So, seeing this current weather report...
I am asking myself what on earth I am doing sitting in one of these...
Instead of packing a picnic, throwing on a summer a dress, heading to the beach, and reliving a little piece of this....
{Thanks Katie for pictures!}

I have 45 minutes left and I am really trying to be productive. Reviewing my notes from this morning's staff meeting I found a handout on the Theory of Gerotranscendence which its creator hails as a "path toward widsom in old age". When we discussed it this morning I thought, "I may only be 25 but I'm sure I could start working on my gerotranscendence now... in no time the Dalai Lama will be g-chatting me for advice!" I started off by reading the list entitled "Signs of gerotranscendence". I think I have made impressive strides already as many item are checked off, however there is one that is making me question my decision to remain seated at my desk (no matter how comfortable my new office chair is). This one in particular is serving as great inspiration to free myself from the shackles of employment:

"More spontaneity. You gladly ignore unnecessary social rules and etiquette... Old habits, routines, and principles no longer seem as important."


After reading this my inner old lady is yelling with wisdom "Get up and get ye' to a beach". I am so incredibly tempted if only my retirement fund had more than $50 to its name. It seems that waiting until I reach the "gero" portion of my "gerotranscendence" to dip into it might be prudent.


Oh prudence! You get me everytime. It looks like my beach time remains relegated to evenings and weekends.

No comments:

Post a Comment